The Archives of Phi Gamma Delta

Archives Home Founders Traditions Today in History Historic Sites Leaders Exhibits/References Blog Contact

______________________________________________________________________

 

Founders Relics

Jefferson College diploma of Founder Ellis B. Gregg (Jefferson 1848).

Cane of Founder John T. McCarty (Jefferson 1948). This cane was given to Historian William F Chamberlin (Denison 1874) in the early 20th century by McCarty's family.

Silver name plate taken from the coffin of Founder John T. McCarty (Jefferson 1848). The plate was recovered when McCarty's grave was moved in 1938.

Cover of the original Grand Chapter minute book, Jefferson College, 1848-1850. It contains a copy of the original constitution signed by our earliest members.

Preamble page of the original constitution, from the 1848-1850 Grand Chapter minute book.

The full text of the Preamble is found in The History of Phi Gamma Delta, Tomos Alpha, pages 45 and 46.

Signatures of the Founders on original constitution, from the 1848-1850 Grand Chapter minute book.

Note that these names are NOT in order of initiation. Albert G. Jenkins (Jefferson 1848) is shown as number eleven; however, he and J. B. Pennington (Jefferson 1848) were the first initiates.

Second page of signatures from the 1848-1850 Grand Chapter minute book.

Note the 20th name, who resigned due to parental disapproval of secret societies. Decades later his membership was reinstated.

Number 23 was expelled for treason, he joined another fraternity, and all reference to his name obliterated from the Fraternity's records.



Back to Museum & Library page