The Fiji Academy, conducted each year in early January, is designed to give new chapter officers a strong foundation so they can dynamically and courageously lead their chapters. The Academy provides them with the knowledge and leadership skills needed for effective chapter management, no matter the chapter size. Participants are exposed to the basic elements of chapter operations as well as higher level leadership development. For the 13th consecutive year, the 40th Fiji Academy will be held in St. Louis, Missouri, at the St Louis Union Station Hotel, a DoubleTree by Hilton, January 2-4, 2015.
All Chapters and Colonies are billed for THREE delegates ($425 each) to attend the Fiji Academy. Additional delegates above the first three are encouraged to attend and will be invoiced after the event. Chapter Presidents, Chapter Treasurers, and Recruitment Chairmen should attend. The Academy is comprised of special training for these specific positions. Any brother or chapter leader is encouraged to attend Fiji Academy and there will also be educational tracks for Recording Secretaries, Corresponding Secretaries, Historians, Pledge Educators, Emerging Leaders, Graduate Volunteers and additional training for New Purple Legionnaires and Section Chiefs.
The deadline for registration is DECEMBER 5.
REGISTER NOW - SEE WHO HAS ALREADY REGISTERED
When Do I Need to be in St. Louis?
ARRIVE - FRIDAY AFTERNOON, January 2, 2015 (Pursuing Excellence sessions will begin at 1pm)
DEPART - ANYTIME ON SUNDAY, January 4, 2015
Each chapter also receives one reimbursement check at a rate of $.12 per mile for the round trip mileage from your chapter to St. Louis, Missouri. If you would like your chapter's check advanced to you, contact Donna Young. To receive an advance, your account must be current and your delegates registered. If you receive an advance and do not attend, the chapter will be assessed a 20% surcharge.
Every chapter is invoiced $425 x 3 men for a total of $1,275. The $425 fee includes:
- Hotel room and taxes for Friday and Saturday at the St Louis Union Station Hotel, a DoubleTree by Hilton. We will make your room reservation. If you need a room for Thursday evening, LET US KNOW. You will be responsible for paying for extra room nights and will need to provide a credit card for incidental charges.
- All meals beginning with dinner Friday evening and concluding with dinner Saturday.
- Commerative Fiji Academy gift.
Where is the Hotel?
You will be staying at the St Louis Union Station Hotel, a DoubleTree by Hilton, One Union Station, St. Louis, MO, 63103. Phone: 314-621-5262. The hotel is approximately 20-30 minutes from Lambert Airport. For the Metrolink to transport you to the hotel, purchase a ticket ($3.50) and the Doubletree is a short walk from the train drop off point. A taxi ride from the airport to hotel will cost approximately $45.
Pursuing Excellence Sessions
The Academy will feature Pursuing Excellence sessions which provide opportunities for personal growth and development as well as the opportunity to explore other aspects of chapter operation. Attendees can participate in up to three of these sessions on Friday, January 2. Sessions will be limited in size and available on a first come-first serve basis. The sessions are listed below and full descriptions can be viewed here. Be prepared to choose your session selections on the Academy registration form.
Block I (1pm – 2:15pm) Options
- Essential Elements of a Good Scholarship Program
- How to Host a Successful Philanthropy Event (Also available during Block 2)
- Business Writing: Getting Your Point Across - Session Full
- Power on your Chapter, Power on Yourself - Session Full
Block II (2:30pm – 3:45pm)
- Creating a 5 Year Plan
- How to Host a Successful Philanthropy Event (Also available during Block 1)
- How Do They Do It? A Panel on Academic Success
- Time Management: Managing Your Time as a Leader to Reduce Stress
- MarketingU: Selling Your Leadership Experience
- Leadership in Action - Partnering for Performance (2:30 - 5pm) THIS PROGRAM WILL LAST 2.5 HOURS - PARTICIPANTS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN A BLOCK III PROGRAM
Block III (4pm – 5:15pm)
- Successful Graduate Events
- Personal Finance
- Networking 101 - Making the Most of your Fraternity Connections - Session Full
- MarketingU: Selling Yourself with Confidence
- Let's Talk About Hazing
Questions about Pursuing Excellence sessions should be directed to Todd Rotgers, Director of Education.
What to Bring
- Your badge
- A coat and tie to wear at the Saturday Pig Dinner. Business casual wear (collared shirts and slacks or khaki pants) for all other times
- Some spending money
- Chapter t-shirts to exchange
- Creative chapter programs
- Recruitment materials
- Questions about the Fraternity
- Any forms or fees that are due
- Willingness to learn and participate
Academy Tentative Schedule
Friday, January 2, 2015
10:00a - 6:00p: Registration
1:00p - 5:15p: Pursuing Excellence Sessions
2:00p - 5:00p: New Purple Legionnaire and Section Chief Training
6:00p - 7:30p: Dinner
7:30p - 9:30p: Model Initiation
10:00p - 11p: Ritual and Values Discussion
10:00p - 11p: T-Shirt Exchange
10:30p - 1:00a: FIJI Poker Tournament
Saturday, January 3, 2015
7:45a - 8:30a: Hot Breakfast
8:30a - 9:50a: Opening Session for all attendees
10:00a - 5:00p Educational tracks for Chapter Officers, Recruitment Chairmen, Pledge Educators, Emerging Leaders and Graduate Volunteers
12:30p - 2:00p: Scholarship Luncheon
6:30p - 8:00p: Pig Dinner
8:00p - 10:00p: Evening social activity
Sunday, January 4, 2015
ALL DAY: Departures
8:00a - 2:00p: Board of Conduct meetings
9:00a: New Chapter Forum and Breakfast *invitation only
Any questions should be directed to JB Goll, Director of Chapter Services, at 859.255.4229.